Thursday, May 9, 2013

Cookie Monsters Recipe

For some odd reason I signed up to bake stuff for another bake sale this coming weekend. What in the world was I thinking? I was less than unoriginal this time, but I made these adorable Cookie Monster cookies inspired by Gina (Poor girl is going to think I’m her biggest stalker!). I must say, I actually wasn’t fond of the cookie recipe and wish I had used my trusty sugar cookie recipe, though perhaps I did something wrong, but that’s ok, they still turned out good and the kids ate about a million of them, so I guess they were approved.

Cookie Monsters:
(from Desperately Seeking Gina)

Sugar Cookie:
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

Frosting:
1 stick unsalted butter
2-2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp milk {or more as needed}

NOTE: This dough needs to chill before baking.

Place flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl, set aside.
Place butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluff.  Add egg until combined.  Throw in the vanilla.  Reduce speed and add flour stopping to scrape the bowl.  Dough will be stiff and crumbly.  Remove from stand and squish {technical baking term} into a ball on some plastic wrap, or in a bowl {cover} and place dough in the refrigerator.  Chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Remove dough and pinch off into 1 inch balls.  Place on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet.  Flatten balls with the palm of your hand.  Bake for 7-8 minutes.

Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting, combine ingredients and beat until fluffy.  Also- it's extra special if you sift your confectioner's sugar before beating-no lumpies!
Makes about 36 cookies.

For Monsters:  sandwich frosting between two cookies and roll in sprinkles.  Top with dots of frosting for eyes and nose. (LAAC note.. We added some M&M minis to the eyes)
--

Picture time!! I doubled the recipe and ended up with slightly more than 6 dozen cookies.

P1220770

As I sandwiched my cookies, I made sure I left enough cream to squeeze out so I could roll that part in sprinkles. I didn’t roll my entire cookie in sprinkles, but I think they would look lovely with only the edges rolled in sprinkles as the decoration. I’m thinking these would also make great ice cream sandwich cookies.

P1220778

Prior to placing the candy eyes.. As you can see, I’m loving my recycled cake stands.

P1220782

Out of all of the different designs I made, this was my favorite. I love the blue and chocolate together. I think it makes the perfect Cookie Monster cookie. 

P1220790

Just a variety of mixed sprinkles and eyes.

P1220796

I had a little bit of icing leftover so I used it up and made some smiley face sandwich cookies.

P1220800

All packaged up and chilling out in the freezer staying fresh.

P1220804

My packaging was simply a treat bag with a cardstock bottom, tied with a zip tie, and a ribbon holding the card. I trimmed off the excess bag at the top.

I hope you guys enjoy! And please forgive me for double posting this on Life As A Convert.

No comments:

Post a Comment