Saturday, June 14, 2014

Tamale Pie Freezer Meal Recipe

Tamale Pie Freezer Meal Recipe

As I was typing this recipe up to add here, I remembered I had already added it before. But it is just *that good* that I will list it again. After all, it is a freezer meal, and freezer meals seem to be pretty popular right now, and I guess you could say I jumped on that trend. When I started making my freezer meals, this was one of the first ones I made. Years later, I can still say that this recipe works, and makes a perfect “go to” dish. I like keeping this one in the freezer and making a single serve option of this.

Crust Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tspn salt
4 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cup water

Crust Directions:
In a bowl mix cornmeal with water
In separate pan boil 2 1/2 cups water and salt
Gradually stir in cornmeal mix
Reduce heat
Stir often, every 4-5 minutes
Stir in butter
Pour batter in pan/tins; Use approximately 1/4 cup per tin

Filling Ingredients:
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 can corn
1/2 can black beans
Enchilada sauce 1 can
1 lb chicken cooked/shredded
Shredded cheese

Filling Directions:
Mix all filling ingredients together
Pour over prepared crust
Top with cheese
Bake at 375* approximately 30 minutes

*You can freeze these in muffin tins and then pop them out and store as single serve pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment